Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bad Day to end the year :( Great, just great...

Good Morning folks, and happy new year!

So, yesterday I attempted Macarons. Hmm. Figured out that wasn't the best thing to do. Here's a tip for y'all - don't attempt to make Macarons when your having a bad day!
 I was already frustrated before I started baking from a bad morning....and it just got worse...and worse...and worse. Nothing wanted to work for me. But I persevered and baked macaroons. They're all different sizes, and I had to throw out the filling I made from the Zumbo recipe I was following and make a simple buttercream instead, but I got there and now have a box of Macarons on the counter.

It takes a lot of ingredients to measure out 3 batches worth!
 

Making the actual mix / batter was ok, not too much trouble there except for not being able to find my thermometer to test the sugar syrup, but it still turned out ok. Piping the macaroons was my first problem - I couldn't find the nozzle I wanted so had to settle for a smaller one which didn't help at all. So after an already bad day, I got frustrated. 

Finally got them into the oven, and apart from being different sizes and a couple collapsing, most were ok.
 
 However there was a stubborn bunch that just refused to cook the whole way. After putting them back in the oven and out again and in and out for about 15 minutes, I turned them over so their bottoms faced up - and Ta-da, they finally cooked!
The next disaster to happen was the filling. It calls for egg yolks (and one whole egg) to be whisked whilst pouring in a sugar syrup, and as you keep whisking it is supposed to thicken as it cools, then you slowly add butter and you have a buttercream filling. But did that want to work? No, of course not. I think it was partly to do with not having my thermometer again. I got very annoyed and threw the whole thing down the sink.

In the end (after having left it all for a while so I could try and calm down) I ended up just doing a simple buttercream with the right flavours added. I did that, and finally assembled the macarons, after about 5 hours making them start to finish. They still looked good even if they were different sizes, but more importantly, they tasted as they should!
 So here i now present you with...
 Salted Butter Popcorn Macarons!

Will attempt the next flavour tomorrow


...after I go and purchase a new thermometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment